domingo, 9 de janeiro de 2011

PLAYING OF KILLING


Heath Ledger was a fascinating actor. He started his artistic career in Australia, where he was born, and then, in 1998, he went to USA, where, movie by movie, he climbed the fame ladder. He became an icon, a star. However, being only 28 years old, he died when he was about to reach the top of the top: win the Oscar for his performance as Joker in Batman’s last adventure. In fact, the recognition came in a posthumous award, but it was too late for him.

Nowadays, when I see him as Joker, I believe that all the great people in this world has some kind of misfit, it can be something like a psychological problem, a social difficulty in finding friends, a tendency to evolves depression, and maybe even a suicidal conduct.

All artists, the ones who are really brilliant (a few ones, in fact), always live in the extreme poles: they are never medium or average, they are always in supreme happiness or in the deepest sadness. They all are big, in the good or in the bad side, always big. What happens is that they are not done for this small and finite world. All great souls need more, and they can’t find it here…

Ledger was dragged by the character.


Joker is a villain that I respect a lot because of some things. First, he represents a crazy villain. He shows another face of evil (a new, haven’t seen in this blog yet) because he doesn’t have desires about nothing. He isn’t worried about dominating the world, getting power, scaring people, oh no, he is almost beyond evil and good, he is insane.

Joker is a villain that doesn’t harm people, he just plays with them, after all, he is just a joker. However, inside all his simplicity, he carries a very complex and original system of feelings. He has nothing to loose, using his own words from the movie: “I represent the chaos!”

We see an immoral, inconsequent, incoherent, and very, very violent person. Joker shows all his potential for destruction when he simply plays to kill people.

Once more, a villain steals the scene: Batman can’t be noticed when we have someone so interesting as Joker close to him. I think there’s nothing more I can say about him. He shows himself by his acts. He’s brilliant and just because of it he’s also terrible. To understand what I mean, just keep reading.

I found many difficulties in choosing Joker’s best quotes for this post, so, I’ve selected four extraordinary ones.


Joker to Batman: “Oh, you. You just couldn’t let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren’t you? Huh? You won’t kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won’t kill you because you’re just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.”

Joker: Do you want to know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can’t savor all the… little emotions. In… you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Batman: Let her go! Joker: [holding Rachel out of a window] Very poor choice of words…

Joker [holding a knife inside Gambol's mouth] Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was… a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn’t like that. Not-one-bit. So – me watching – he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, “why so serious, son?” Comes at me with the knife… “Why so serious?” He sticks the blade in my mouth… “Let’s put a smile on that face!” And…Why so serious?



Do I have anything else to say?

Hugs, friends!

2 comentários: