quarta-feira, 16 de setembro de 2009

WHAT ARE DREAMS? GIFTS OR CURSES?



“If being crazy means living life as if it really matters, then I don’t care if we are completely insane.” (April’s though about trying to make dreams come true). We have just one life to live and sometimes just one chance to take risks and maybe (just maybe) be happy. If you let it go, you can never find yourself again in the middle of this complicated web of sorrows called life. Forget to live for a while and when you open your eyes again and take a look around you will find out that life was gone, and possibilities don’t even exist anymore. What if nothing is possible? What if you were fated to fail? Would you accept destiny or would you have the strength to fight?


‘Revolutionary road’ was recorded this year (2009) and it’s a movie that brings the sensation that everything is possible, existence is beautiful, and then, after one or two scenes, you are sure that life is a lie, a dream, a bitter and dreary dream. In Brazil the movie’s name was translated into a different meaning, appropriated we must say, but in disaccording: “It was just a dream”.

In this movie we see Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet working together again. They, who are one of the most famous couple in cinema since they actuated in Titanic, are just brilliant in this contemporary tragedy called ‘life’. The story which is based in a namesake book (a best seller by David Yates) starts with a couple’s plans and dreams. They are beautiful, young, and full of hope: “There’s nothing in the world you couldn’t do or be!” Says Winslet’s character named April to her husband Frank, represented by Dicaprio. They get married, have two children, and move to a neighborhood called Revolutionary Road, there they live in a beautiful house and raise their children while all their neighbors envy them. Frank starts working in the same company his father used to work and April has to give up her biggest dream that was to be an actress, to become a housewife. Time keeps going relentless and they are always the same, they slowly die as flowers in a lengthened winter. Years after a happy marriage they realize that they are nothing but simple and ordinary people who can’t stand an ordinary life. They fight everyday and kill themselves with rude words and guilt. April wants a different life in which she can really feel alive and Frank believes that he wasn’t born to be just a forgotten employee, that’s when they decide to make a dream of theirs come true: they decide go to live in Paris. Frank is about to quit his job, and April Was finally going to do something by herself, but in the last moment they find out she is pregnant again and then Frank is invited to a promotion in the company. Once more they can’t go on although they want it more than anything in the world, another dream ends in a dry and melancholic deadlock. April starts hating her baby and Frank and their relationship gets an unsustainable level: a true love turns into a weighty hate. How can people let their lives go like this?


As the director (Winslet’s husband) says: “The dynamic between April and Frank was so powerful and so realistic and it felt like you were a fly on the wall listening to an intimate relationship disintegrate”. Watching a movie like this one help us think a little about life, about how small and weak we are in this infinite universe. You feel like in a prison from where you can’t escape because this prison is your own life! That’s human beings. You can’t point a finger cause there’s no good and bad guys, there are just guys. If you are not happy about your life go on and change it before it changes you.

6 comentários:

  1. Hei! Wow!!!
    I know I'm late... sorry for this! But I SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE!!!!
    "How could I not read this text before?!" - said Carol...

    Did you remember our last class with Valeria (yesterday)? She asked us: "What are you afraid of?". Yesterday I couldn't answer. Now, I guess I can!
    I have to watch this movie! Have you ever seen it?

    Well, for me it's very difficult not to think about somethings like this everyday... I dont know why, but I'm afraid of not be what I hope I'll be (or what I want to be).
    Anyway, I guess it's another subject... maybe for another post on my blog...

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Oh, man!!! I liked it a lot. I agree with your thoughts about life. Besides, your blog is incredible. Now I really want to watch this movie. Please, don't talk about another movie, because I don't have time enough to watch all of them!!!
    Keep writing!!
    Peace out!

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Hi Rafael, now I found where to comment it! rsrs
    The blog is just to post in English? This is a good idea cause we have the opportunity to practice writing. rsrs

    Hug!!

    ResponderExcluir
  4. You reminded me the very first time I watched such movie and I "opened the tap". Our dreams are rather weird sometimes, are they not? I mean, we keep on thinking what we would do "if" (a) we were born again; (b) we lived in a different neighborhood; (c) we had different friends from those we have got. Maybe there is no "next" nor a "promising future". Maybe our lives are just as they unfold to our eyes. We do not need a "next" point. This is our own.

    ResponderExcluir
  5. Hi, Rafael! Twilight is not a movie, is a name of a song. A song from the band "Theatres Des Vampires" (my favorite band). I like your text. The text is for Heroana(Rafael`s gilfriend)?

    ResponderExcluir
  6. Congratulations! I Like it very much!! The movie looks very good!! I don't know if you know, I don't like this kind of movies but i can watch one day to see if it is good!!

    ps: Your blog is awesome!! pretty cool

    ResponderExcluir